Saturday, October 17, 2009

Dinner Party




Yesterday I made a dinner party, which is something I've been wanting to do more of.
I made two dishes from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbook 'Vegan with a Vengeance.' The first step of this journey involved biking home from Kensington market with a precarious weight of vegetables on my bike.
The first dish I made was a corn chowder. Soup is great to make 'cause you always have leftovers. (I'm eating it right now. ^_^) While cooking this soup I discovered that raw corn is DELICIOUS! I'd heard you could eat it but I'd never tried it before. I seriously suggest just going at an ear of corn raw. Anyways it turned out so good that it was hard to stop people from eating so much of it that they ran out of room for other food.
The next dish was kind of adventurous for me. It had a lot of stuff in it that I don't normally cook with like raisins and fresh mint. It was called Moroccan Tagine with Spring Vegetables. It contained lentils (always a great idea), zucchini (I've been wanted to branch out in terms of the types of vegetables I cook, there are SO MANY), grape tomatoes, green beans, and a bunch of other good stuff. Served over couscous (which I've had in my cupboard for a long time and have been really meaning to use.)
Being adverturous payed off. This dish was really interesting and tasty.
I was especially skeptical about the raisins at first, but they turned out really soft with a subtle flavour that worked perfectly.

1 comment:

  1. Found this via Reddit. I was a Vegetarian for years of my childhood, until I was forced to eat meat, and became disillusioned, blah blah.

    It's really great to see and hear about such delicious looking treats. I may not be ready to swear an oath of meatlessness, but I'm willing to replace meat one delicious alternative at a time. I'm looking into Tagine cooking now. Thanks for the inspiration! (bookmark)

    ReplyDelete