Sunday, March 28, 2010

Brunch for dinner



I love having breakfast food for dinner. Yesterday I made a pretty awesome breakfast-dinner of Scrambled Tofu and Roasted potatoes. (top picture).
For the tofu, I fried half a purple onion, 6 chopped cloves of garlic, one chopped yellow bell pepper and one chopped red bell pepper in olive oil. I then crumbled (or smooshed) in two packages of silken tofu. You can use firm tofu for this recipe, but silken tofu makes it turn out more like eggs. For spices I used salt, pepper, dill, turmeric, curry powder, cumin and paprika. It turned out really delicious and colourful.
This recipe is a great replacement for eggs. The only difference is that while eggs have their own flavour, with this recipe you add the flavour in the form of spices. Spices are very important to vegan cooking. I recommend playing around with them a lot in order to get familiar with their flavours. My favourites are rosemary and dill.
Spices were also the major factor in the potatoes I made to go along with the tofu scramble. I set the oven for 450 and then washed and chopped 4 potatoes in to bite-sized pieces. I never peel my potatoes 'cause there's lots of good nutrition in the peel. Instead I scrub them with a coarse brush under water. This removes the top layer of skin but leaves most behind.
The next step to this dish was mixing the potatoes with some olive oil (vegetable oil is also good) and a ton of spices. I then proceeded to covered them with the remainder of my Crousset brand Tuscan Bouquet spice blend. They were finished after about 35 minutes.
These potatoes turned out unbelievably good. They were gone in like an hour.

Tonight I made myself a Hummus and Vegetable Sandwich. Fresh lettuce (i like a lot of lettuce on my sandwiches), tomato, avocado, hummus, margarine and black pepper on flax bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment