Friday, April 30, 2010

The bag of avocados

So the other day I went to CostCo with my mum, and one of the things she bought me was a big of like 5 avocados. I'm trying to use them all before they go too soft.
If you've never eaten an avocado, I pity you. But they way to tell if they are ready is they should be a bit soft, so that when you push your thumb into the outside it gives way. But it should be mushy! If it mushes all up as soon as you touch it, then it's gone bad. When you cut it open, if the avocado is ripe the skin will peal off easily. If it isn't ripe, the skin will stick and it will be hard to peal. If the inside is brown or black, it's going bad.

Okay, so yesterday I made an Avocado Salad. It was a butter lettuce mix (I dunno what that means either, just light coloured lettuce), a bunch of chopped avocado, pine nuts and grated carrot. I kind of invented a salad dressing to go with it. Toasted sesame seed oil, rosemary vinegar, salt and pepper. I'll firm this recipe up and post it in full later.

Today I had an Avocado and Hummus Sandwich. Toasted flax bread, margarine, roasted garlic hummus and half a sliced avocado. Delicious. Could have used some salt and pepper.

Well I've got a big job interview on Tuesday that I'm stressing out about, so I'm gonna go work on being ready for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment