Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hard times

Been going through some major stress lately. Possibly the first major rode block to be overcome in my life. Until now, everything has gone more or less according to plan. Now I must find a new path despite the anxiety and shame that comes when a previous gamble didn't pay off. Trying to be up to it. Luckily I got peoples who help me along.

But back to food.
I've been using cooking to help distract me, so I've made a few nice dinners.

Dinner 1: I made this rather fancy dinner from 'New Vegetarian Cooking' by Rose Elliot. It was stuffed avocado on this yellow lentil rice. Now the rice didn't turn out right because I forgot to adjust the amount of water when I substituted brown rice for white rice (stupid.) Also, for some reason the lentils I bought dont' cook like lentils but just turn into mush. But it was still edible and Aaron didn't really notice the difference.
The avocados are cool. You cut them in half, coat them in lemon juice and some salt and pepper, fill/mostly cover with this mixed mushroom concoction (with lemon juice and garlic, soooo good). Then you put the avocados on the rice, on a serving plate, and pop it in the oven at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Don't let the avocados cook 'cause they'll spoil, but they can get warm.
Aside from the funky rice (I'll get it better next time), this was quite good. I looooove mushrooms and the lemon and garlic in these tasted really good (probably gonna start making that my standard mushroom frying recipe). The avocados added nummy fat, and the coating really made them delicious.
Also, Aaron was like "Ooooooooh." when I pulled it out of the oven, so that was fun.

Dinner 2:
Yesterday I was planning on making dinner and my bestest friend Maggie called, so I invited her over.
We had pea soup that my mom sent me, corn on the cob and portobello mushrooms, rice and lentil mush (this cooking confirmed their inability to cook like normal lentils), and fudgeeos for dessert.

I've got lots of ginger in the fridge that I'm not sure what to do with. Maybe I'll make cookies.
I've also got some veggie ground-round so maybe some pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment