Thursday, May 27, 2010

Stew and a rabbit (but not rabbit stew)


So my twin sisters left yesterday to spend a month in Italy. About 30 hours before they had to go, one of them calls me and says that the very flimsy plans she made for someone to take care of her pet rabbit have fallen through, and she needs me to watch it until she gets back. There is literally not another soul who can take this rabbit (apparently), and even if they did, there's a good chance that it would be someone who didn't care about its needs. So now I've got this rabbit for a month.
The thing is, rabbits don't make very good pets. They're dumb, like hamsters (but unlike rats, which are very smart and affectionate and awesome). Unlike hamsters, though, rabbits need a lot of space. They also don't need human affection or interaction, and really don't enjoy being picked up.
I'm doing my best to keep her happy. During the day when I"m home and can watch her I let her run around most of my apartment (except the bathroom, bedroom and computer room). She's running around the big space and exploring.
She's still really cute and soft, and they don't smell, so it isn't really an inconvenience.

So today I cooked my own version of Chipotle, Corn, and Black Bean Stew from Vegan With a Vengeance. I used just one regular jalapeno pepper (instead of two chipotle ones), and it was still way too spicy for me. I really don't like spicy food. Other than that it turned out well, and Aaron does like spicy food. I added a few ingredients like an eggplant and some TVP. This was a really interesting dish, with lots of ingredients and flavours.

No comments:

Post a Comment