Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back from Winterpeg


I went to Winnipeg for my cousin's wedding this weekend. It was nice but the ceremony was outside and I got eaten alive by mosquitoes.
Here's a picture of me and my sisters all dressed up. Danielle hunches over because she is insecure and thinks she's too tall. It makes her look like a turtle.

So I'm in a kind of crummy mood because I thought I finished school and then I found out I have to go back for a semester because I screwed up the courses I needed.
However, House season 5 comes out on DVD today, Guitar Hero 5 comes out on the first, and Beatles Rock band comes out on the 9th. So I'm planning on eating some special brownies and vegging out until i have to go back. (Unless I get hired at Secrets From Your Sister, my favourite specialty bra store.)

K, back to food.
I hearby name coffee with soymilk the breakfast of champions.
Yesterday for lunch I went to Sneaky Dee's so I could sample some of their non-nacho vegan food. I don't remember the name of the dish I had 'cause it was something Mexican, but it was really filling and tasty.
Dinner:
  • Salad with dark greens (they have iron), tomatoes, cucumber, purple onion, and pumpkin seeds. I made a "honey" mustard dressing from Eat, Drink, and be Vegan by Dreena Burton. It used agave nectar instead of honey. I think next time I'll use a little less agave nectar since it turned out really sweet.
  • I made tofu scramble, which we put in Dempster's ancient grain tortillas with some salsa. Tofu scramble is neat 'cause it's one of those things that you can make differently every time if you want to. I made it with mushrooms, green peppers, garlic and onions. The spices I got from a recipe in Vegan With a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, and there were mostly spices that I almost never use (since few recipes I have call for them), so that was fun. They were cumin, thyme, paprika, and tumeric. It turned out really tasty.
  • For dessert I made a carrot cake from a recipe in How it all Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. It turned out tasty but I thought that it could have used more carrot in it. I changed the recipe in the book from half a cup to one cup of shredded carrots. I made "creamcheese" icing from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. I buy soy creamcheese from the healthfood grocery store in Kensinton market. Eaten by itself you can kind of taste the soy (it's still quite good), but in the icing you could never tell the difference from the real stuff. I added a big squirt of lemon to make it lemon creamcheese icing.
So now I'm going to go make myself get dressed, go rent House (I hope they have it), eat a special brownie and then probably eat some left overs.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment